Monday, July 19, 2010

Thanks A lot Bible Ladies

Tonight was the last night of a five week Bible study I have been doing. We have studied the woman of the Bible. Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, someone that starts with a B, I didn't do my homework that week. And last and certainly not least Mary. Now that I'm done with said study this is what I have walked away with.

I'm an idiot, who would have been burned at the stake. If I was a pioneer woman my husband would have been the first to take on a sister wife because I would have froze my arse someplace in Missouri. I was not made to be compared to these woman.

Take Ruth for example here it is summed up- Marries, hubby dies, goes with mother-in-law and sister-in-law. MIL says no go to your families home, she begs no I want to stay with you, finds a man, gets all fancy for him, marries him and gives her MIL the baby she has with him. HELLO I don't think so.

Tamar she is one hot mess-
Rahab another hot mess-

Mary she was not to much older than my own daughter. I fight with my daughter about the pros of using her deodorant twice a day. How do you think that conversation would go
"Hannah sweet daughter of my loin, after you use your clinical strength BO stick I have some important news for you. A lovely little angel came and told me that you are going to have the son of God in your womb. Ok honey have a good night sleep."

We are not made to have these types of conversations anymore. We are not the type of woman or men that could do these things. We are weak and that is alright. Stop comparing yourselves to Beyonce or Heidi Klum. Start setting your bar a little higher maybe, Rosa Parks or Betsy Ross. We are not modern day woman that even have the energy to do those things. What if Mary was a modern day woman. The story would be "Joseph I know you are tired but James has a dentist appointment, I promised Elizabeth that I would watch John for her and someone has to follow Jesus around while he feeds the hungry and heals the blind. He's only 14 he should not be doing that alone." I don't think so.

In this modern day we won't even take time to make our own bread and butter and we are pissed if our favorite kind is out of stock.

I know this may not make any sense. But, I for one am not going to sit around and give myself a pity party anymore. I just need to work on being me. I can't even begin to compete with these woman so I won't try anymore. Now they all teach us how to be a better person and do better things. We are fools if we don't take what they have shown us and run with it.

None of us are going to be Mary but, we can all understand what the feeling of loving someone so much that it is indescribable. Isn't that what we all need to aim for? We need to stop being a bunch of unhappy, lazy, people who feel that we are entitled to things without earning them.

And once we have mastered the task of being grateful for what we have then we can all begin mastering the task of being a better person! Until then just try to do one thing everyday that will change you or those around you for the better. We just never know what decision we make today will affect the future. Now I'm not saying go wait at the wall like a hooker. Maybe just push the shopping cart of an overwhelmed mom back to the cart return. Or take a extra second at the red light to smile at the car next to you. What if that changes his mood? You have the power to do that, now JUST DO IT!

2 comments: